Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Dear Winter,


Hey buddy, how's it goin'?! I saw you decided to snow again today. In the middle of March. Haha! That was a good joke. Props, man. Seriously, where do you come up with this stuff? Did you learn that in Canada or something? I just had to smile when I was slippin' around on my icy patio today. You wile minx. The best is when you warm up to thirty-three degrees all day, get everything good and wet and then - BAM! - flash freeze at night. That way, it's so much more fun taking Eddie on his evening walk. It's like, "Which one of us is gonna fall down tonight?!" LOL. Good times.

But hey, listen. We need to talk. Some people around here are starting to whisper things about you. And it's not good. As a good friend, I feel that I need to be the one to tell you. Okay, deep breath. This isn't easy for me either. Alright. Here goes.

Everyone around here thinks it's about time you packed up your snow and left.

Hey, hey, hey! Now I know this is difficult to hear. I understand. I'm your biggest I'm a fan! We've had so many good times together over the years! Remember the time when you hid Eddie's tennis ball in that huge snow bank and wouldn't give it back? And he dug and dug until Jeff had to physically pick him up and put him in the house? And you still haven't given it back! Haha! Or what about the time when we sucked up the welcome mat in the snow blower? I knew you were laughing the whole time, watching us try to figure out how to get it out without chopping off our hands. You sly dog. What about the time when you made it so cold outside, that the locks on my car froze and I couldn't get inside? Remember that? We finally had to use a blow torch to get the door to open! That was classic, Winter! Just classic!

But I really think it's time to go. If you are around all year, there will never be a first snow of the season. Or a first time of the year when it's so cold out, your car won't start. Those times are magical. Don't you want that too? And you know, it's really only fair that you let Spring, Summer, and Fall have their share of the year too. I mean, you are going into your fifth month. I'm not judging, I'm just stating fact. You know it's true.

I think it's time, Winter. And I think you know it's time as well. Don't worry. We'll all be here next year. And every time I pass that snow blower in the garage, I'll think fondly of you.

Goodbye, Winter. For now.
-C.M.

4 comments:

  1. BEST. POST. EVER.

    You need to submit this somewhere. This has fame and fortune written all over it. You are an amazing writer and completely, utterly hysterical!!!

    In fact, I'm laughing so hard that I'm crying a little. Or maybe I'm just crying because I threw my back out shoveling the slop at the bottom of my driveway this afternoon. That Winter...he sure is a funny one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Heidi. This post should be published. It's so true and so fun to read and so clever and..... I could go on and on.
    I, too, have a message for winter. It goes like this: Dear Winter. You reek big time.
    Your friend, Cathie

    How's that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it chrissy! you put a commical twist on all the hate i have for winter right now! plus, you're give one heck of a break-up speech!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chrissy you are hilarious!!! I love it! Way to tell it!! :)

    ReplyDelete